Are Women The Key to Curbing Crime In America?
Recently, I read several articles on the high rates of crime against women. It
was not surprising to find that most of these articles shared a common opinion, blame society. I hope this article will stimulate debate on a topic which, in my view, is too frequently avoided in our politically correct society.
Most people will agree that women get a raw deal from society. Because of societies
historical biases, the perception that women are easier prey for criminals, persists. We know that most criminals are predators. They search for situations where they can surprise and overpower someone they perceive as vulnerable.
That makes most women, targets.
Over time, society’s perception will change. In the meantime women must take more responsibility for their safety. I am not suggesting that how a woman dresses; her choice of hair style or her approach to makeup are issues.
I am suggesting that, when possible, her choices
about where she goes, who she goes with, and how she behaves, can and often will affect her chances of becoming a victim.
As a retired law enforcement officer, I could recite story after story about victims
who, regardless of gender, made bad choices. Those choices resulted in someone becoming the victim of a crime. Whether it was the choice to go alone to a social gathering at a strange home or bar; The choice to accept a
ride from stranger(s) or just the decision to drink a little too much. Those choices resulted in harmful, even fatal consequences.
If today’s woman would consider the risks, before deciding where she goes, who
she goes with, or how she behaves while there, the chances of her becoming the victim of a crime will diminish.
If a woman has no other choice but to expose herself to higher risk, then she must
be mentally prepared to defend herself. To learn how to defend yourself, follow this link.
No comments:
Post a Comment